How To Scrap A Water Heater

There are two main types of water heaters that I find on a regular basis, gas and electric. 

The Scrap Gas Water Heater

Gas water heaters are usually pretty good scrap items. I find them pretty often, and I’m happy when I do.

They are a home appliance, and classified as a light-iron/shred/mixed-metal/tin item when whole. But, there is usually a decent amount of non-ferrous scrap metal that you should first be able to pull off.

At the cap part of the heater, there may be one or two Copper pipes that sticking out, or possibly a brass connector. With a magnet, check to be sure they are copper or brass. If it sticks, then the pipe is simple iron. If not, take them off with a pipe wrench. If they are too corroded to come out, then either break them off by repeatedly hitting with a hammer, or cut off with a sawzall.

With a pipe wrench, twist off the valve sticking out of the tank towards the top. This is a mineral deposit stick, and in my experience is often copper in the gas modles.

Every gas water heater has a gas regulator that is set near the base of the tank. These are made of a combination of brass and cast zinc/aluminum and have some brass knobs on them.

My yard has a special price for these gas regulators (you also find then on scrap gas grills and scrap ovens and stoves) and they are worth pulling off as they are worth at least 2x shred price, up to 4x shred steel. They are expensive to replace, so they may be worth reselling if you have the know-how.  An example regulator is pictured left, and you can see that it is quite valuable, almost 1/3 of the price of a new heater!

To remove these gas regulators quickly, all it takes is a few heavy buy paxil online canadian pharmacy whacks with a sledge hammer.

The Scrap Electric Water Heater
The electric water heater is less commonly found in my experience, but good for scrap none the less!

Electric water heaters don’t have gas regulators, because they don’t have use gas. (duh.) But, electric water heaters use heating elements to heat water instead of gas.

The electric heating elements are usually made of zinc plated copper or stainless steel sheathing around a nichrome wire. They are located inside of the water heater and need to be pulled out by disassembling through access bays located on the side of the appliance.


Water heaters also have what is known as “anodes” which are there for the sole purpose of getting corroded away, thus keeping the steel container from getting corroded (self sacrifice if you will). These are often made of magnesium/aluminum, and will be very corroded if you want to try pulling them out. It is my preference to not even bother.


  • Don’t bother trying to fill these with water in order to trick the scales. You will only make about roughly $30 extra, and it is so easy to catch this trick. If you are caught, your scrap yard will (or should) press charges.
  • Don’t pass up fittings. Some brass fittings may be very corroded, and can therefore be hard to distinguish, and/or hard to remove. Be sure to check all fittings with a file. And if you can’t seem to get the fittings off with a pipe wrench, then I recommend setting the heater on the ground and pulling out your sledge hammer. Most brass fittings will break of after a few good hits.
  • Don’t get caught with your pants down! Some Water heaters are made of very valuable metals (copper, brass, ect) more often then not if they are very old. DON’T forget to check everything!
Good Luck Scrapping!


joe August 24, 2011 at 4:43 am

Awesome site.

ScrapMetalJunkie August 25, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Thank you! I suggest you subscribe to my RSS feed, or join the forum to discuss any questions you have.

evan February 16, 2012 at 5:42 pm

i know that it varies from heater to heater, but i was wondering what the average scrap worth is thank you

peter Estey March 14, 2012 at 9:34 pm

what are the tanks made out of? Cast Iron?

Miles Jascha July 15, 2012 at 3:50 am

I was told this week that I cant take anything off of the water heaters including the copper or valves or the local scrap yards wont take them. They only “recycle” for free water heaters and appliances. They said I have to have a scrappers license to dismantle water heaters and appliances. How can I make any money scrapping if they wont let me take off the good stuff? My father in law is a HVAC guy and I can get lots of furnaces and other metals for free but it seems like I wont really be able to scrap all parts so i will have lots of waste that I will have to take to the dump. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!

Miles Jascha July 15, 2012 at 3:51 am

edit to above post. I am in Des Moines, Iowa. I forgot to mention where I am from.

DH May 11, 2013 at 4:44 pm

When you remove the release valve, will they take the whole thing as brass? Do I have to cut off that little stick and what appears to be a steel lever on the front. Newb here

mark pehlke July 13, 2014 at 5:37 am

please email instructions for scrapping out gas water heater (2002 model).

ted September 12, 2014 at 1:20 am

where can i sell the gas valve and burner that came off a gas water heater?

Norman Jacobs November 9, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I am removing a bunch of really old water heaters and oil tanks out of various basements in different properties. Someone said the insides are full of copper. These heaters are very old and huge. Is it possible they have court in them and secondly is it possible or worth while to cut them open.

Rothers November 12, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Scrap. 101. need big truck and trailer. two large men with lots of tools.
or the trade in core charge or the %of use discount.
your screwed. give it to the homeless in a shopping cart to the community yard
happy christmass

Ron August 24, 2016 at 10:18 am

I am looking for a 40 gallon electric water heater I am going to make a wood burner so I don’t need any of the fittings.Would you sell something like that?

Eric Burrows February 24, 2017 at 7:04 am

i have prolly 25 to 30 tanks in my backyard. With lots of various copper tubing ECT. How much u think I could make.?

Peter Dittler March 7, 2017 at 10:39 pm

I’m looking for the really old draft diverters ( top of unit where flue pipe connects). I want the type that has a 3″ inlet and out look. Any one know where to find one?

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: