That being said, as yourself, “How many scrap yards are within driving distance of my home?” For most people they will say some number less than 13. When selling scrap metal on eBay, however, you are opening yourself up to a giant market: The Internet.
When you stumbled upon this site, you most likely were looking for some information on some type of scrap metal. Similarly, when somebody wants to buy scrap metal, the internet presents a quick solution: eBay.
People who buy scrap online include those in a metal shop, middle men, artists, or investors. Some will be professional, some will be amateurs. The point is, they will often be willing to buy for more money than a scrap yard!
Here is a list of things you can sell online for more money than when you sell to a scrap yard:
- High Grade Computer Boards
- Computer Processors
- RAM modules
- Catalytic Converters
- Many types of copper including wire.
- Junk Silver.
- Literally, anything that can be sold at a scrap yard can be sold on eBay for just as much, if not more.
- EBay and PayPal will takes fees out of what you sell. For example, If your listing sells for $50, you will only get about $44, and the rest goes to eBay and PayPal.
- Always show pictures of the item on a digital scale. This generally give people confidence when bidding.
- Add the weight of the item to its auction title, ie “4lbs of copper 1 scrap metal Cu bullion .99”
- Adding words like “bullion”, and possibly the purity of the scrap will be best to draw those investing on whatever metal you are buying.
- Catalytic converters are a very sought after scrap item. amateur chemists will try to refine precious metals out of them.